GET 10% OFF ON YOUR FIRST ORDER. FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY. Use code: WELCOME on checkout
News

Normie Token Plummets 99% After Smart Contract Exploit

The value of the Normie (NORMIE) token sunk by 99% within three hours after it was victim to a smart contract exploit, which temporarily dropped its market cap from $42 million to $200,000.

Following the exploit, the developers of the Base meme coin are in discussions with the individual responsible for the incident to reclaim 90% of the stolen funds.

The Hacker’s Offer

Blockchain analytics firm Lookonchain was the first to detect the exploit and the hacker’s offer.

In an on-chain message to Normie’s deployer address on May 26, the hacker offered to return 90% of the stolen NORMIE tokens, stipulating that the remaining 10% be kept as a bug bounty with no reprisals.

The hacker also demanded that the stolen funds, along with the 600 ETH worth approximately $3,900 in the team’s dev wallet, be used to launch a new token to reimburse NORMIE holders.

“We will have to re-launch, yes,” stated Normie’s team via a newly established X account following the suspension of their main one. “That will come after we get our main Twitter account back and after we get the funds from the exploiter,” Normie added. However, the temporary account was also suspended shortly after that.

Meanwhile, the hacker wouldn’t compromise on their strict terms, insisting that a token relaunch must precede the return of funds. “The dev wallet made significantly more than I did during this exploit, and I have no other way to ensure that those funds are used appropriately,” they stated in another on-chain message.

The Exploit’s Aftermath

Quick Intel, a blockchain scam detection tool, reported that the exploit impacted 72,000 NORMIE holders.

Lookonchain also revealed that an anonymous trader who had invested $1.16 million to acquire 11.23 million NORMIE tokens during the cryptocurrency’s peak is now facing a substantial loss. Their initial investment of $1.16M, which they held until now without selling, is now worth less than $150.

According to CoinGecko data, NORMIE’s price plummeted by over 92% within the first hour of the attack, falling further by 99.5% after two and a half hours. Despite a brief price surge, the cryptocurrency continued its descent, hitting rock bottom at $0.00022, representing a 98.2% fall from its all-time high.

However, Normie has since shown signs of recovery. At writing time, its market cap is $1,043,837, and its price is $0.001053, marking a 57% increase in the last 24 hours.

NORMIE launched amidst the frenzy of meme coin mania on Base in March 2024 and reached a peak market cap of $130 million on April 2, according to CoinGecko data.

The post Normie Token Plummets 99% After Smart Contract Exploit appeared first on CryptoPotato.

Latest Press

post-thumbnail
News
5 hours ago
Meet 2024’s 5 Trending Crypto Presales: A Golden Chance You Can’t Miss
The cryptocurrency world is vibrant with new and exciting projects emerging, all set to revolutioniz...
READ MORE
post-thumbnail
News
5 hours ago
Get Ready for Lift Off: The 5 Best Cryptos Transforming Fortunes in 2024
As the digital currency realm expands, investors are continuously on the hunt for the next big thing...
READ MORE
post-thumbnail
News
5 hours ago
Bearish Sentiment Dominates XRP as Short Positions Surge
Santiment shows that a large number of short positions have been entered against XRP and ADA, with a...
READ MORE
post-thumbnail
News
5 hours ago
Ripple News: XRP Ledger’s AMM TVL Jumps to $7.7 Million Amid Rapid Growth
The XRP Ledger AMM total value locked (TVL) has sustained a steady uptrend reaching over $7.7 millio...
READ MORE
post-thumbnail
News
5 hours ago
Solana ETF Hype: Top Coins for High Returns Revealed
Solana (SOL) Exchange Traded Fund is reportedly in the pipeline as a digital asset manager makes its...
READ MORE
post-thumbnail
News
5 hours ago
Smart Money Trader Stakes 14 Billion Floki Inu Tokens, Signals Strong Bullish Sentiment
A smart money trader, identified as 0x403, staked 14 billion Floki Inu (FLOKI) tokens valued at $2.3...
READ MORE
default post thumbnail
News
5 hours ago
Polkadot ($DOT) Tumbles Amid Wider Market Downturns
The past week saw the overall crypto market drop, with the total cap dropping to some of its lowest ...
READ MORE
default post thumbnail
News
5 hours ago
Decoupling: Stock Markets Tapping New Highs Last Week but BTC and ETH Suffer
The cryptocurrency industry is often described as a risk-on asset class that tends to underperform i...
READ MORE
default post thumbnail
News
5 hours ago
Could Uphold’s Tether Delisting Signal Trouble for USDT in Europe?
A popular New York-based crypto exchange, Uphold, announced the delisting of six stablecoins in resp...
READ MORE

Publish an article now

Unlock the power of media for instant visibility to the target audience, major SEO boost, greater website traffic and conversion rates.

click here to get started